Keeping Backyard Chickens

My chicken journey started in 2013. I was experimenting with gardening, and learned from a library book that chicken manure is prized as a fertilizer. As I investigated further, I learned more about the conditions in which chickens are raised on industrial farms and was very surprised. Partly in protest, partly for the fertilizer, partly in the spirit of experimentation, I decided to try raising a small flock.

The reasons people raise chickens at home are varied, and the trend is growing. No one tracks chicken ownership statistics, but my own experience suggests that the trend is exponential. When I bought my first set of chicks, no one I knew in my suburban community was raising backyard chickens. Twelve months later, five families in our immediate area have started small flocks. Before joining the trend, prospective chicken owners should consider the following points:

.. Check Local Ordinances and Rules

Read the whole article:
http://voices.yahoo.com/keeping-backyard-chickens-12604753.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Key Performance Indicators in a Nutshell

Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers Lean Six Sigma Workshop

Priming the Project Pump: Lean Six Sigma on a Shoestring